Programmatic advertising is the leading digital advertising method today. Each Google update and technological improvement impacts not only publishers, advertisers but also the industry overall.
We have collected 22 key programmatic advertising trends, statistics, and facts in one article, which you as a publisher should keep in mind for 2022.
- Facts About Google Latest Updates for Publishers
- Programmatic Advertising Statistics
- Mobile Video Advertising Statistics
Facts About Google Latest Updates for Publishers
Your website’s performance should stay above everything!
- 1️⃣ In June 2021, Google completed the rollout of the new official ranking update–Core Web Vitals. We are still yet to see the full effect of this update in 2022. (Setupad, 2021)
Make sure that you run your site’s audit by using tools like GTmetrix or Page Speed Insights. These tools will help you detect errors faster and avoid unexpected surprises in rankings.
- 2️⃣ Google has announced a new program called Multiple Customer Management (MCM), which will officially replace the Scaled Partner Management (SPM) program on January 31, 2022. (Setupad, 2021)
- 3️⃣ In June 2021, Google introduced Search Console Insights to all publishers, which allows assessing how well the new content performs. (Setupad, 2021)
- 4️⃣ From September 2021, the Google News platform displays both AMP and non-AMP web content and sends readers directly to publishers’ webpages. (SearchEngineLand, 2021)
- 5️⃣ Google has postponed the deprecation of third-party cookies in Chrome browser until late 2023. (Google, 2021)
Programmatic Advertising Statistics
- 6️⃣ According to eMarketer’s forecast, global digital ad spending will increase by 15.2% over the last year and reach $524.31 bln in 2022. (eMarketer, 2021)
- 7️⃣ Google AdSense will shift from second-price to first-price auction by the end of 2021. (Google, 2021)
- 8️⃣ Programmatic advertising research shows that one of the top trends of 2021 is automation. 41% of marketers say that AI and machine learning have had the most impact on their revenue growth and performance. (Forbes, 2021)
- 9️⃣ According to Blockthrough, 81% of respondents in 2021 still use ad blockers to avoid interruptive/annoying ad experiences. This indicates that industry-wide initiatives such as Better Ads Standards and Acceptable Ads haven’t had a significant effect on ad blocker adoption. (Blockthrough, 2021)
- 🔟 Programmatic remains the leading method for buying and selling digital ad space, with global programmatic ad spend reaching 82% in 2022. (Statista, 2021)
- 1️⃣1️⃣ The global real-time bidding (RTB) market is expected to grow at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 22% during 2021-2026. (BusinessWire, 2021)
- 1️⃣2️⃣ From 2022 onwards, Google will require Play Store apps to inform users about their data collection methods. (Google, 2021)
- 1️⃣3️⃣ According to the latest data, 68% of top 10K US publishers were using header bidding as of Q3 2021. (Kevel, 2021)
- 1️⃣4️⃣ Research shows that 72% of marketers plan to increase their budgets for first-party data, with 86% admitting that first-party data will be vital to them. (Claravine, 2021)
- 1️⃣5️⃣ At the beginning of Q4 2021, Google confirmed that a two-click penalty would apply to desktop inventory. Previously this was only applicable to mobile inventory. (Setupad, 2021)
- 1️⃣6️⃣ In August 2021, Google confirmed that it changed the way it generates titles for search results. (Google, 2021)
Mobile Video Advertising Statistics
Mobile-first approach doesn’t only dominate web traffic spread, but also the advertising industry. According to Zenith, an average user will spend 100 minutes a day watching videos in 2021. Growing demand for video consumption is visible around the world, especially since COVID-19.
Most brands adapt their video ads for mobile devices making them short (not more than 15 seconds) and vertical. Cinemagraphs (photo and video hybrid) are also gaining popularity in marketing campaigns.
- 1️⃣7️⃣ Global video ad spend is expected to account for $106.2 bln in 2022, 70% of which will be mobile. (Statista, 2021)
- 1️⃣8️⃣ Global mobile advertising spending is expected to reach $395.96 bln by 2022. (Statista, 2021)
- 1️⃣9️⃣ Unified ID 2.0, an initiative that top adtech companies developed as a workaround for third-party cookies deprecation, is now open source. (AdExchanger, 2021)
- 2️⃣0️⃣ Connected TV remains one of the fastest-growing channels in digital advertising. Given its flexibility and programmatic buying opportunity, this market segment is expected to reach $17.44 bln in 2022. (eMarketer, 2021)
- 2️⃣1️⃣ Apple rolled out the iOS 15 email privacy update in September 2021. This means that publishers won’t be able to accurately track their newsletter open rate on Apple Mail. (Setupad, 2021)
- 2️⃣2️⃣ The banner advertising segment shows an average growth rate of 11.7% year over year, reaching $182.8 bln in 2022. (Statista, 2021)
Toms Panders, CEO at Setupad: “Seasonal opportunities in advertising are not as profound as they used to be. While we still expect to see traditional peaks in the run-up to events like Black Friday, the overall trend shows now more stable spendings across the year with a traditional dip at the beginning of every month.”
Related Article: How to Prepare your Website for Seasonal Trends in AdTech?
In 2022 the digital advertising industry is going to focus on efficiency as opposed to numbers. Meaning the main aim will be to deliver more relevant ads at the right moment and increase ROI (return on investment).
Keep an eye on the trends and statistics discussed above and stay ahead of your competition.